Greetings folks! As one of the last new posts of the year, I wanted to give a year-end review of sorts. When I say review, I mean a “Top 5” list for 2017 of various things in entertainment, politics, and sports. I know some of you will agree and others will argue with my lists; but hey, they’re my lists. Oh and I’ve also included five things I wish would happen in 2018. So enjoy!
Top 5 Songs
5. “Sorry Not Sorry” by Demi Lovato
4. “Wild Thoughts” by DJ Khaled featuring Rihanna and Bryson Tiller
3. “Bodak Yellow” by Cardi B.
2. “Humble” by Kendrick Lamar
1. “Rake It Up” by Yo Gotti featuring Nicki Minaj
*Honorable Mention: “Evergreen” by up and coming artist Yebba Smith. If you haven’t heard of the song, look it up as soon as possible. That woman gives me the chills when I hear her sing.
Top 5 Artists
4. Ed Sheeran
3. DJ Khaled
2. Kendrick Lamar
1. Cardi B.
*Honorable Mention: The Migos will get an honorable mention here. While I think they create good music, I just couldn’t put them on the list. And say what you all will about DJ Khaled being at the number three spot, but you can’t deny the fact that the DJ had several hits on the charts this year. Oh, and I’m not a Cardi B. super fan, but the more I thought about, the more I have to admit that 2017 has been great to her.
Top 5 Actors
5. William H. Murphy
4. Tiffany Haddish
3. Viola Davis
2. Sterling K. Brown
1. Issa Rae
*Honorable Mention: Cate Blanchett did an amazing job as Hela in Thor: Ragnarok. That walk of hers alone deserves a round of applause.
Top 5 Movies
5. Wonder Women
4. Get Out
3. Girls Trip
1. Thor: Ragnarok
*Honorable Mention: I’ll reserve this for Mudbound. I see you Mary J. By the way, I threw Wonder Woman on the list because it was not only good, but is the first female-led superhero movie. That’s a pretty big deal.
Top 5 Television Shows
5. The New Edition Story
4. This Is Us
3. The Crown
1. Game of Thrones
*Honorable Mention: Stranger Things is still a great show. Season 2 is perhaps more addicting than the first.
Top 5 Political Moments
5. Trump White House Bingo (No One’s Job Is Safe)
4. Trump’s Tweets (45 Can’t Stay Off Twitter)
3. Congress Fails to Pass a Repeal of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)
2. A Democrat Wins In Alabama ( Doug Jones Wins and Roy Is A Sore Loser)
1. Robert Mueller Leads Investigation into Russia and Its U.S. Election Interference
*Honorable Mention: I thought about putting tax reform on the list, but as of publication, Trump had not officially signed the bill into law.
Top 5 Sports Moments
5. Patriots Comeback and Beat the Falcons in the Super Bowl
4. The “Ball” Family Soap Opera (Lavar Ball and Sons Stay in the Media)
3. Usain Bolt Retires
2. Serena Williams Wins The Australian Open Pregnant
1. National Anthem Protests (Athletes Taking Knees and Turning Backs)
*Honorable Mention: The Mayweather vs. McGregor fight deserves to be talked about I suppose. To be honest, I’m not sure the fight wasn’t rigged a bit. But I digress.
Top 5 Wish List for 2018
5. Game of Thrones Actually Comes out for Final Season
4. Trump and Pence Are Impeached or Resign
3. Net Neutrality Again Becomes Rule of Law
2. The Black Panther Movie Releases and Exceeds Expectations
1. A Functioning Congress (An Abundance of Blue Wins in the Midterm Elections, and Common Sense Compromise Among the Parties)
*Honorable Mentions: I’m hoping Serena wins two more Grand Slams solidifying her spot as the GOAT in women’s tennis, and the greatest athlete of this generation. I’d also like to see Beyoncé go ahead and release an album. Oh and I hope Scandal ends on a good note.